Thursday 15 December 2011

Into the Fires of War!

I was lucky enough to get my first game with my Grey Knight army in this week!
It went well and gave me some food for thought List-wise, we played 1500 Points Kill Points with Spearhead deployment against a Guard Army.

I opted to Deep strike with one of the Strike Squads, and it became apparent to me very quickly how far across the board you have to run when you are playing a non-Objective mission with Grey Knights, i spent what felt like the whole game running across the board and never connected fully, but when i did connect, good lord!  What a punch!

Loved playing with the army and i think i will definitely be getting into it big time, there are still all the comments of "you are playing Grey Knights, well of course they are going to win, they are bent!" but i think that's par for the course until something scarier comes along!  I felt my army was pretty damned balanced!

I only took one Dreadknight along for the battle, but he scared the hell out of my opponent, and had he lived longer (a Lascannon squad hit and wounded three times at once and i failed three cover saves of 4+, ouch!) he would have wreaked havoc, the Heavy incinerator is a fantastic weapon, and i can see that a pair of Dreadknights in 1750 will be terrifying, and will also attract enough lascannon fire to allow my main unit to get amongst the enemy,

So a lot of my army is centered around a 10-man squad of Grey Knight Terminators with 2 Psycannons, with Coteaz, an Ordo Malleus Inquisitor in Terminator armour with a Psycannon and a Grey Knight Techmarine Grenade-Caddy, a fairly ridiculously expensive unit, but one that can take a lot of damage any weapons Strength 5 and below hitting it get bounced onto the two 3-wound T3 characters and any Lascannon shots will hopefully be pumping into the Dreadknights, i'll need a few more games to work out if it needs tweaking but it performed brilliantly in my first game!

2 Strike Squads will look to Deep Strike into Cover in No man's land and hold the middle ground while two Acolyte units skulk about in the home cover and take objectives, in theory it should work quite well!  The lack of long range firepower hurts, but i have a Vindicare along so he can go to town on tanks with his 4D6 Turbo-Penetrator Rifle.

I'll play a bit more soon and report back!

No comments:

Post a Comment